by Dave Briggs
At Harness Racing Update (HRU), we are committed to delivering the best harness racing publication possible and keeping it free. Yet, HRU is constantly looking for ways to improve in order to provide even more of the content you want.
That’s why we’re asking for a minute of your time, not your money.
How you can help improve HRU in 3 easy steps:
- If you’re not already a subscriber, please take a minute to subscribe
- Once you are a subscriber, please access each new issue of HRU by clicking on the links in the email notifications that are sent out whenever a new issue is posted. This is more important than you might think.
- Please ask anyone you think might be interested in HRU to subscribe. Every single new subscriber helps and, remember, it’s free.
Why subscribing and accessing HRU through email is so important
HRU uses a popular email distribution program called Constant Contact, which tracks how many subscribers we have and how many people open our emails and click to view each issue. Those are critical numbers.
Those total numbers – never your personal information — are shared with advertisers to let them know how many people are potentially viewing their ads to show them they are reaching the number of people we say they are reaching.
Learn more about why you should advertise with HRU.
Since our only source of revenue is advertising, it is important to prove to those advertisers that their money is well spent with HRU. Two important ways to do that is to:
1. Keep growing our number of subscribers — as we have every year since 2016.
2. Increase the number of people that access each issue through the email notifications.
Why? When we grow our advertising revenue, we invest that money back into greater and improved content.
Advertising revenue also helps HRU remain an important independent voice in the industry. Unlike association publications, being independent allows HRU the freedom to cover the sport from all angles.
Remember, we never share your personal information with anyone and never have or will sell our email list — and, in fact, are prohibited by law from doing so. Signing up only requires a name, email address and general geographic area of residence.
As an example, thanks to our devoted advertisers, and subscriber numbers that have grown 27.5 per cent since January of 2016, we have made the following changes to HRU:
Added the following columns:
- Ask the Guru
- Brush and Crush
- Between the Lines
- European Report
- Hollywood’s Hits
- Breaking Stride
- Dean’s List
- Superstar Females of Harness Racing
- The O-Zone
- Bettors Banquet
- Equine Health
- View from The Deck
- Wire to Wire
- Alternative Actions
In addition to the new columns:
- Started a broadcast division featuring Twos in Training videos from some of the sport’s top trainers and featuring hosts Heather Vitale, Jaimi MacDonald and Heather Wilder. The 2019 videos have already topped 55,000 views combining Facebook and YouTube.
- Improved photography.
- Improved the coverage of a number of jurisdictions, events and sales.
- Improved the look and functionality of our website.
- Brought back race replays and TrackMaster PPs.
- Improved results layout and much more!
Help us to provide even more of the comprehensive harness racing coverage you need.
For more information, contact the editor: