by Thomas Hedlund
The $155,000 Gran Premio Continentale for 4-year-olds was held in Bologna, Italy on Sunday (Sept. 25) afternoon and Love You son Carlomagno d’Esi proved to be the toughest trotter at the half-mile track.
Carlomagno d’Esi attacked from third over with a quarter to go in the 1.3-mile race and Laurent Claude Abrivard’s horse held on when Alessandro Gocciadoro tried at the open stretch with his Charmant de Zack. The mile rate was 1:59.1 for the Italian bred trotter who claimed his biggest win in his career so far.
Gocciadoro won the $66,000 fillies division of Gran Premio Continentale after a first over trip with his Clarissa (Exploit Caf). Clarissa won in a mile rate of 1:55.3 over 1,660 meters.
HUGO LANGEWEG WINS SIXTH DERBY
The $86,000 Derby for 3-year-olds was on the race card in Duindigt, The Netherlands on Sunday (Sept. 25) afternoon. Hugo Langeweg, well merited Dutch trainer and driver, claimed his sixth Derby win in his home country, this time with Max Occagnes (Traders) who came home in 2:01.2 over 1.6 miles.
First choice Malou Vredebest (Yeovani Boko) was best in the $32,000 fillies division of the Derby for driver Jaap van Rijn.
DUSKTODAWN BOOGIE TOPS IN FINLAND
Finnish Derby winner Dusktodawn Boogie (Lexus Font) continues to impress in Finland. After a successful winter in Paris, trainer Kenneth Danielsen has improved his 4-year-old mare even more and on Saturday (Sept. 24) afternoon, Dusktodawn Boogie was outstanding beating her opponents in the $100,000 Villinmiehen Tammakilpa in Lappeenranta.
Olli Koivunen was entrusted behind Dusktodawn Boogie this time, since trainer Danielsen was suspended and the duo had to face a first over trip, outside of leader Magic Madonna while the pace was set at a high level. Despite the tough trip in a high pace, Dusktodawn Boogie was pushed to the lead before the last turn and then she flew away from her opponents, to come home in a mile rate of 1:56 over 1.3 miles.
The Lexus Font mare has eight wins in 10 attempts 2022 and there is no doubt about who’s the best horse in the crop in Finland.
GOCCIADORO IS HOT IN NAPLES
The classic race the $660,000 Gran Premio Della Lotteria is scheduled in Naples, Italy on Sunday (Oct. 2) and dominant trainer Gocciadoro has prepared 10 of his elite horses for the race.
Three heats over 1,600 meters where the top three horses qualify for the final are the conditions in Lotteria and several top trotters will make the journey to the southern part of Italy.
Horse – Driver
1. Dorgos de Guez – Jean-Michel Bazire
2. Achille Blv – Enrico Bellei
3. Viscarda Jet – Crescenzo Maione
4. Zorro Wind – Örjan Kihlström (Gocciadoro)
5. Cokstile – Vincenzo Piscuoglio Dell’Annunziata
6. Vaprio – René Legati (Gocciadoro)
7. Zacon Gio – Roberto Vecchione
8. Always Ek – Alessandro Gocciadoro
Horse – Driver
1. Vincero Gar – Pietro Gubellini (Gocciadoro)
2. Bonneville Gifont – Lucio Becchetti
3. Bleff Dipa – Roberto Vecchione
4. Vernissage Grif – Alessandro Gocciadoro
5. Chief Orlando – Vincenzo Piscuoglio Dell’Annunziata
6. Synergy – Örjan Kihlström (Gocciadoro)
7. Global Trustworthy – Antonio di Nardo (Gocciadoro)
8. Delia du Pommereux – David Thomain
Horse – Driver
1. Usain Töll – Vincenzo Piscuoglio Dell’Annunziata
2. Milliondollarrhyme – Franck Nivard
3. Feydeau Seven – Jean-Michel Bazire
4. Bengurion Jet – Alessandro Gocciadoro
5. Vivid Wise As – Matthieu Abrivard (Gocciadoro)
6. Atik DI – Antonio di Nardo
7. Birba Caf – Enrico Belles
8. Zinko Top – Örjan Kihlström (Gocciadoro)