by Bob Heyden
• Only the Little Brown Jug and the Kentucky Futurity have been raced at the same site throughout.
• Driver Mike Lachance’s last two Triple Crown wins came consecutively in the Kentucky Futurity — in 2012 and 2013 with My MVP and Creatine, respectively.
• 22 entered in 2003 to challenge Mr Muscleman to no avail. It was the largest group to try this Triple Crown leg.
• The Kentucky Futurity, like the three Triple Crowns in thoroughbred racing, began in the 19th century.
• Ben White in 1924-1925 was the first to go back to back in this race driving. Overall, back-to-back driver victories has happened 10 times with White doing it twice.
• John Campbell is the only driver to win this race three straight times 1992-1993-1994 with Armbro Keepsake, Pine Chip and Bullville Victory, respectively.
• Chuck Sylvester also went three straight — with Whiteland Janice in 1991 and the first two of the above with John Campbell.
• Thirty-six times a female has won the Kentucky Futurity.
• Five straight years a filly won the Kentucky Futurity from 1915-1919 and eight of the first 13 winners were female (1893-1905).
• In 1965, Armbro Flight won the Kentucky Futurity and the Kentucky Filly Futurity in the same year. She is the only horse to ever do this.
• Three family members won a Trotting Triple Crown race in the 1990s.
Carl Allen 1990 Yonkers Trot with Royal Troubador
Rod Allen 1995 Yonkers Trot with C R Kay Suzie
Rod Allen 1999 Yonkers Trot with C R Renegade
Mike Allen 1996 Kentucky Futurity with C R Trackmaster
• Three heats were required to win the Kentucky Futurity from 1893-1920.
• In 1931, Protector won the Kentucky Futurity with a 1:59.1 record. It was faster than the previous 38 editions and the next 22 editions.
• John Simpson, Jr. won this race four times in a 12-year span 1970-1981 (His father won it twice — 1951, 1964).
• The Kentucky Futurity is the only Triple Crown race to elude Billy Haughton, but two of his sons won it. Peter won it twice — in 1976 with Quick Pay and 1978 with Doublemint. Tommy won in 1980 with Final Score.